[MPlayer-users] Force mplayer to use video decoder for DVD?

Rashkae rashkae at tigershaunt.com
Wed Oct 3 16:08:50 CEST 2007

Richi Plana wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to force mplayer (without modifying the source) to use an
> arbitrary video decoder when the input source type is a DVD? If so, how
> does one do it? Better yet, can mplayer be made to detect the video
> encoding used in a DVD-type container?
> --

Forgive me if I misunderstand your question...

AFAIK, a "DVD Movie" is always Mpeg 2, and recorded in a specfic fashion
with specific control files, etc etc.

If however, you have something homemade and burned to a blank DVD disk
that you want to play, you have to mount that disc on your computer then
instruct Mplayer (or any other video player) to play the file you want.