[MPlayer-users] Mplayer port for PS3

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at rangers.eu.org
Wed Oct 3 14:05:52 CEST 2007

On Wednesday, 03 October 2007 at 01:47, Ulion wrote:
> 2007/10/3, Dima Dima <ddpol at mail.ru>:
> > Does anybody knows somthing about subj?
> > PS3 can run linux and mplayer. Everything goes ok until i try HD video. Performance is suxx :(
> > Any news on x264 optimization, so that it will use the power of spu's on PS3's cell processor?
>
> x264 on my iMac G5 1.9G is also suxx. You need to post at vlc's x264
> mail-list to ask this.

Note that he's talking about h264 decoder in mplayer (actually libavcodec,
but that's beside the point), so this question has nothing to do with
x264 encoder.

As for the original question, I think this is because Linux on PS3 does not
use the video card directly, only via a special framebuffer which supports
no acceleration. SPUs are not used either.

Regards,
R.

--
MPlayer developer and RPMs maintainer: http://mplayerhq.hu http://rpm.livna.org