[MPlayer-users] mplayer -slave... (how to) disable keyboard input?

Lee Jackson leej at morphemass.com
Thu Nov 29 18:06:54 CET 2007

"The -slave option switches on slave mode, in which MPlayer works as a backend
for other programs. Instead of intercepting keyboard events, MPlayer will read
commands separated by a newline (\n) from stdin." - slave.txt

I'm probably misunderstanding what was intended here because the behavior I'm seeing in MPlayer doesn't match this description.

Basically, I want to disable keyboard commands when the mplayer video window has focus so that a press of "q", for example, doesn't quit the application. However if I run :

mplayer -slave -quiet egvideo.avi

a press of "q" will still quit if the window has focus (I can also do "q<return>" from the launching console window). I've tried this with the -noconsolecontrols option to no avail.

So am I misunderstanding the meaning of the above or is there something wrong here? (MPlayer 1.0rc2-4.1.3 by the way)

tia

Lee