[MPlayer-users] scratching sound on some dts files (passthrough)

Markus Rothe markus at unixforces.net
Sat Nov 24 18:42:18 CET 2007

Hello,

I have a problem playing some dts files using the passthrough: The sound
is 'scratched'. It sounds like an old record/platter/LP. It's seems to be
a constant scratching, _not_ something like a hick-up every few seconds.

An interesting aspect is that it's only happening with some files. Other
files with the same sample and bitrate work fine. Here [1] are the first few
seconds from a file which plays normal and [2] is a file which plays
with 'scratches'. (There is no reason one file is bigger than the other by
the way)

Another information noteable is that xine plays both files the same way:
Almost correct, it has another issue: very short 'hick-up' every few seconds
on both files.

I am running on amd64 hardware with ICH9 south bridge. The optical output is
reported as IEC958. It's reproduceable on a friends Samsung laptop with ICH8
south bridge.

The Denon receiver shouldn't be broken, because I have an embedded system
(Efika [3]) whose optical output is also reported as IEC958 and _both_ files
play fine using passthrough.

Both files play fine when I decode them with libdca and play them as stereo
(also optical output).

This is a bit complex. I hope the situation is clear now. Any ideas what could
be wrong?

Mplayer is cvs from 20070824.

Regards,

-markus