[MPlayer-users] mkv to divx audio sync issues

Bart de Boer bart at mediawave.nl
Sat Nov 24 12:25:17 CET 2007

Dear mplayer people,

Sorry if I'm double-posting. I think something went wrong with my

I have a P4 2.8Ghz Celeron that isn't powerful enough to decode my 720p
H.264 mkv's. So I'm using mencoder to convert them to MPEG4 Divx. This
works nicely performancewise. They only take up around 30% CPU to decode
on that machine now. :)

I am however having another issue. There always seems to be a slight A/V
sync problem. (The original mkv's run perfectly in sync.) I tried
different mkv's. I also tried numerous parameters without success. One
thing that seemed to work (in most cases) is to seek 1 second into the
video using -ss 0:00:01 and start converting from there. Therefore I
conclude something goes wrong at the beginning few frames of the video.

These are the commands I'm currently using:

mencoder ${inputFile} -ss 0:00:01 -oac copy -nosound -mc 0 -noskip -ovc
lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=4000:turbo:vpass=1 -passlogfile
${logFile} -o /dev/null

mencoder ${inputFile} -ss 0:00:01 -oac copy -mc 0 -noskip -ovc lavc
-lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:mbd=2:trell:v4mv:vbitrate=4000:vpass=2
-passlogfile ${logFile} -o $outputFile

Is this an issue with mencoder or am I using the wrong method?

Regards,

Bart