[MPlayer-users] Is there any way I can point mplayer directly to an IP address + port?

cga2000 cga2000 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 22 21:56:13 CET 2007

Occasionally I use a web browser + the mplayer plugin to play a radio
stream.

The problem is that some sites give you a hard time finding the actual
url of the stream you are playing.

A good example is the French national radio stations "France Musique"
and "France Vivace".

As far as I understand it these really excellent stations do not wish,
for obscure reasons (copyright issues?) to divulge Windows Player urls
They do provide a list of mp3 url's but the sound quality is rather
terrible.

In general, I usually manage to find the url by downloading the initial
link to play the radio station live via wget and taking a look at the
page.. but with these ones no luck.

Maybe there are no DNS def's anywhere?

I noticed that the mplayer plugin invokes mplayer -- that figures ..
but the instances of mplayer that are active when a radio stream is
being played unfortunately do not have the familiar "mplayer url"
syntax ..

Just a whole generic bunch of options followed by something that says
"user-agent".

I used tcpspy to obtain the IP addresses I am connecting to and I was
wondering whether I could use some (undocumented?) mplayer cmdline
syntax that lets me point to and IP adress + port such as:

   $ mplayer 100.100.22.22:1735

Or should I try to hack up some fake DNS of sorts .. possible in my
hosts file (this is a linux system) that maps some valid url name to
this address?

Hoping I'll get some good news from someone who's been down this path
before me.

Thanks,
cga