[MPlayer-users] can't play second half of some commercial DVDs

Steve Kleene skmpl at syrano.acb.uc.edu
Tue Nov 20 21:12:20 CET 2007

On Tue Nov 20 17:00:48 CET 2007
> [I reported that I can only play halfway through some commercial DVDs with
> mplayer].

On Tue Nov 20 17:12:17 CET 2007, Nico Sabbi asked:

> did you follow *all* instructions in DOCS/tech/dvdnav-howto.txt ?

I had not.  I have now spent the last several hours trying to do so.  I
uninstalled the existing libdvdnav4_0.1.10-0.1 and libdvdread3_0.9.7-2 and
installed the libdvdnav-4.1.1 I got from MPHQ via http.  This seemed to
install OK, so I tried to recompile MPlayer-1.0rc2.  Configure gave the
following

  Checking for DVD support (libdvdnav) ... no

configure.log shows the error message seen if /usr/local/bin/dvdnav-config is
called with no arguments.

> do you have the cache enabled? remove it.

In the past I have tried running mplayer with -nocache, and that didn't help.

> did you try svn?

I do not have svn.  I read about it a little, and setting it up sounds like a
project in itself.

> what's the title of the dvd you are playing?

It's "Advise and Consent" (1962) from Netflix.  I had the identical problem
with "Transformers" (2007), but other DVDs have been fine.

Anyway, it's clear that I do not have the time it will take to get to the
bottom of this.  Thanks for your constructive advice.