[MPlayer-users] volume keys broken: [AO_ALSA] Error setting left channel

Vitezslav Kotrla vitko at post.cz
Sat Nov 17 00:53:15 CET 2007

> I see, thanks for tip! Does following
>
> $ amixer
> Simple mixer control 'PCM',0
>   Capabilities: cvolume
>   Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
>   Limits: Capture 0 - 100
>   Front Left: Capture 86 [86%] [-5.60dB]
>   Front Right: Capture 86 [86%] [-5.60dB]
> Simple mixer control 'PCM Center',0
>   Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined
>   Playback channels: Mono
>   Limits: Playback 0 - 100
>   Mono: Playback 0 [0%] [-99999.99dB]
>
> make any sense to anyone?

Well, replying to myself - I've examined controls present in
gnome-volume-control and it seems like preferred volume control channel
there is 'Master'. (Yes, it is present in amixer output, too).

Now command

   $ mplayer test.avi -mixer-channel Master

seems to work fine. Thanks Dominik! (You are my hero of the day - well,
night here, actually.)

Vit