[MPlayer-users] Compilation problems in rc3 - finale

Giacomo Comes comes at naic.edu
Fri Nov 16 17:19:56 CET 2007

On Fri, Nov 16, 2007 at 05:06:47PM +0100, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> Hello,
> On Fri, Nov 16, 2007 at 03:52:51PM +0000, robert w hall wrote:
> > Reimar Döffinger wrote:

> > > Ugh. gcc 3.2 (and IMO 3.3 as well) have more similarity to a random
> > > number generator than a compiler.
> > > _Never, never_ use gcc 3.2, it has _serious_ bugs (and IIRC the
> > > compilation instructions on our homepage explicitly recommend against it)!!
> > >
> > With respect, the  man page is not _that_ strong - and I read that 3.2.3
> > was explicitly a bug fix. Also, I have compiled a few other things with
> > it over the years, including the present kernel.
>
> Well, maybe it is not as bad as I made it sound. Overreaction happens
> easily once you spent a few hours searching for a bug that ended up
> being in the compiler ;-)
>
> > Perhaps you should stiffen up the statement on the mplayer homepage.
>
> Maybe, but some people always complain that it's too extreme then :-)
> Btw. this is what the documentations says right now:
>
> > Chapter 2. Installation
> > 2.1. Software requirements
> > gcc - recommended versions are 2.95 and 3.4+. 2.96 and 3.0.x are known
> > to generate faulty code, 3.1 and 3.2 also had problems, 3.3 some minor
> > ones. On PowerPC, use 4.x.
>
> Well, 2.95 currently needs a small fix to compile at all and probably is
> hard to come by unless you use something a bit older, e.g. Debian stable :-)

What about this message that appears in recent build?

+ Compiler did not align stack variables. Libavcodec has been miscompiled
+ and may be very slow or crash. This is not a bug in libavcodec,
+ but in the compiler. You may try recompiling using gcc >= 4.2.
+ Do not report crashes to FFmpeg developers.

It means that any gcc version before 4.2 is deprecated?

Ciao
Giacomo