[MPlayer-users] volume keys broken: [AO_ALSA] Error setting left channel

Vitezslav Kotrla vitko at post.cz
Thu Nov 15 22:14:43 CET 2007

Some time ago I've noticed that mplayer started to behave strangely when
pressing volume up/down keys (+ and -):

   [AO_ALSA] Error setting left channel, Invalid argument0%  1.8% 0 0
   [Mixer] No hardware mixing, inserting volume filter.
   [AO_ALSA] Error setting left channel, Invalid argument1%  1.5% 0 0
   [AO_ALSA] Error setting left channel, Invalid argument1%  1.4% 0 0

Apart from these errors pressing volume keys changes sound volume
erratically, 90 % of the time losing sound altogether, the rest is quite
random volume level. All other sound apps are working correctly.

As for mplayer version, I'm running SVN build no more than 10 days old.
Kernel is 2.6.22 (AMD64).

Thanks for your comments.

Vit