[MPlayer-users] Better ways to remove the logo?

galenz at zinkconsulting.com galenz at zinkconsulting.com
Mon Nov 12 13:44:51 CET 2007

Hello,

I like to get rid of logos when encoding HD broadcasts. The problem is
that the results are not terribly spectacular, especially on mixed
bright/dark backgrounds.

Using the delogo filter with xy coordinates works, but creates a
large, square block. The result is that much more data must be
interpolated than is really necessary, and the regular edges with
corners tends to be more easily picked up visually.

Switching to the remove-logo with a mask image reduces the amount of
area that needs to be interpolated, but the results are inferior,
creating strange patterns. Frustratingly, instead of the results being
better than a simple delogo filter, they are often worse! Strange
angular effects develop and such. Color gradients are disrupted much
more than with the delogo filter.

Why can't the same algorithm be used for remove-logo as is used for
delogo? This alone would offer a modest quality improvement.

While I understand that there's not a lot that can be done for
interpolating missing data dramatically better, we only need to keep
terribly egregious effects from developing due to the motion in most
video and the perceptual quality would increase markedly.

It seems like the delogo filter could benefit from "line/area
detection" code. For example, if even a small corner of the delogo box
is a very different color than the rest, the entire box's color can be
polluted. Simple code that detects the vague "flow" of a line or color
area (e.g. straight line crossing through box, circle intersecting
part of the box, etc.) would do wonders for solving this problem.

Another possibility (in combination with the above or alone) to help
improve the filter would be motion tracking. Obviously, we don't need
anything exact, just general color regions. Motion compensation and
detection code is extremely well implemented within video compression
and deinterlacing. Why not leverage a bit of that code to improve the
logos?

All we need to do is get the rough shapes and brightness/darkness
right and the noticeability of the logo masking areas will drop very
close to zero for the average viewer.

-Galen