[MPlayer-users] Using the SUB demuxer instead of the OGM demuxer for subtitles

Ergzay ergzay at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 17:29:34 CET 2007

Is there some way of using the SUB demuxer (the demuxer you get when
you use the -sub option) instead of the OGM demuxer (the one you get
when you play a file normally and select the track)? There is a
noticeable difference in subtitle look when using the -ass option. If I
extract the subtitles from the OGM and play the video with the -sub
option then I get nice, large, yellow, good for tv, with thick black
border, dvd style subtitles. If I play them directly without extracting
they are small white, transparent, bad borders, bad for tv, mplayer
style subtitles. Is there some way when that when playing ogm files the
ass subtitle reader be used and if not could it be added? (If I don't
use the -ass option the subtitles look exactly the same when using the
-sub option as when not using it.)

I also might mention that when you use the mplayer sub output it rounds
off the timings so a line in the .srt file such as:

5
00:00:32,332 --> 00:00:35,324
Yeah... I wanted to come here.

gets changed to internally

5
00:00:32 --> 00:00:35
Yeah... I wanted to come here.

Which is VERY noticeable. I have mentioned this bug numerous times
before. This bug has been in mplayer since before I can remember and
for at least two years and everyone always ignores me about it. The bug
does not appear when you load the subtitles using the -sub and -ass
option. For troubleshooting this bug I am on Mac OS X 10.3.9 with gcc
3.3.

Ergzay