[MPlayer-users] gmplayer displays just a crop of an mp4, sample file

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Wed Nov 7 19:04:48 CET 2007

Hello,
On Wed, Nov 07, 2007 at 09:42:47AM -0800, Larry Reznick wrote:
[...]
> That suggests the file was created with the wrong information. I wonder
> if this means that VLC probed further into the file's structure,
> discovered the 640x480 setting, and applied it to the whole clip.

You are assuming that displaying at 640x480 is any more effort. It is
not, it is much simpler. MPlayer makes an extra effort to respect the
settings in the file telling it to crop the video. Unfortunately it
lacks the special QuickTime "we know our users are idiots and need to
triple-check each setting in the file to verify it's actually what they
want" magic code.

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger