[MPlayer-users] No sound while playing DRM-protected WMV file decrypted by MPlayer

Perry Valdez perryv at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 18:22:09 CET 2007

I've just checked out and manually built MPlayer dev-SVN-r24983-4.1.3
on Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon (Linux 2.6.22-14-generic #1 SMP i686
GNU/Linux). Then I played my DRM-protected WMV video in MPlayer by
using the following command line:

mplayer -demuxer lavf -lavfdopts
cryptokey=f529e476267be74296c412478e439bb54a11a538 test_small_drm.wmv

The result was the video itself displayed properly, but there was no
audio. The video also seemed to run a bit faster than normal.

Next, I removed the DRM protection from my video using FreeMe2
(http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=130055 ). Then I played the
resulting video in MPlayer:

mplayer test_small_plain.wmv

The video played perfectly fine. The video decrypted via FreeMe2 will
serve as your reference.

Here are the videos, the original DRM'd version (test_small_drm.wmv)
and the version decrypted by FreeMe2 (test_small_plain.wmv). I
uploaded them in RapidShare (3 MB) because the files are a bit large
to attach to my email.

http://rapidshare.com/files/67868250/test_small_vids.tar.bz2.html

By the way, the video was provided by a video-streaming site as a paid
subscription service. I have a subscription account there, so I can
watch videos there using Windows Media Player. I dumped a sample
stream of that video using MPlayer's -dumpstream option (which I then
saved as "test_small_drm.wmv").