[MPlayer-users] audio stutter with DTS in matroska?

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 20:06:31 CET 2007

On 10/31/07, Ulion <ulion2002 at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2007/11/1, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com>:

> > > Any samples? What platform do you use? Did you try mplayer svn
> > > version? Which audio output module are you using? alsa, or oss? Did
> > > your receiver can decode dts audio correctly from other avi files
> > > outputed by hwdts?
> >
> > previously I was running Kanotix and had the issue with both the
> > debian package and compiled from SVN. I've always used ALSA for output
> > on this computer. I think I had the problem with DTS in an AVI before,
> > but recently all I've tried are via mkv files and I don't want to say
> > for certain. I'll see if i can find a non-MKV DTS track (perhaps from
> > a DTS audio cd?) to see if i still have the issue.
> >
> > I recently installed Ubuntu and am using the packaged mplayer and
> > still have the issue.
>
> DTS audio cd is not supported by mplayer.

darn =(  I'll look for an avi with DTS to test then.

> Since you think DTS in AVI always has problem, then we assume your
> mplayer always has problem of DTS passthough. Then what about AC3
> passthough?

AC3 passthrough seems to work fine, I've never had an issue with AC3.

> What kind receivers did you use? Can them decode DTS/AC3 correctly by
> other any player on your system?

My previous pre/pro was a Parasound AVC-1800 which handles both
DTS/AC3 fine from the various DVD players, Xbox, Cablebox, etc. My
current pre/pro is a Denon AVR-3806 which from the two DVD players
I've had connected to it does DTS fine.

> Are you using coaxial or optical output of ALC655.

Optical, I had coax for a while with my Parasound with no difference.
I can easily try both though.

> What's the ao setting of your mplayer? ALSA need to
> set some ao sub-device to passthrough correctly. You may try this:
>
> -ao alsa:device=spdif
> or
> -ao alsa:device=iec958
> or
> -ao alsa:device=hw=0.4
>
> Where the 0.4 can decided by output of cat /proc/asound/pcm

I have a custom asoundrc file so i have -ao alsa:device=digital-hw
which as I've said works fine with AC3.

Thanks!!
--
Steve