[MPlayer-users] mplayer crash on 64-bit Fedora Core 6 machine.

Dean S. Messing deanm at sharplabs.com
Sat May 12 01:33:59 CEST 2007

Reimar Döffinger wrote:
: On Fri, May 11, 2007 at 08:48:40AM -0700, Dean S. Messing wrote:
: [...]
: > special reqs. of their 4096x2160 display.  But evidently the
: > card is very limited.  For example it does not seem to
: > "XV" capability.
:
: Possibly it really does not have xv hardware, but probably it's just
: that the fglrx drivers suck. You can't use the opensource drivers?
: If you have to use fglrx I'd recommend using -vo gl:yuv=2 or something

I can't turn the sequence in to yuv due to the chrominance resolution
loss relative to 24-bit RGB. We are studying very subtle artifacts in
our processing algorithms and can't be introducing additional ones.

: similar, x11 is quite slow and really not a good idea for such high
: resolutions (though since your video is already in BGR format -vo gl is
: probably not faster. You could try "-vo gl -dr" though, I do not know if
: ATI supports the functions needed for that yet though).

It didn't work.

Also if there's any hope of driving the Toshiba display (4096x2160, QHD)
under Linux (which I can't currently do) I figured I had to use the
latest fglrx, esp. given the card is proprietary.  The Toshiba display
is not a standard display: It takes in two dual link DVI signals
each 1920x2160 and "stitches" them together to form the QHD image.

But this is not relevant to my current problem which is happening on
an ordinary 1920x1080 flat panel.

: [...]
: > mplayer -vo x11 -vc rawbgr24flip sequence_1.avi
: >
: > or
: >
: > mplayer -vo x11 -vc rawbgr24 -flip sequence_1.avi
: >
: > mplayer crashes. Just before it crashes it puts up
: > its display window for a split second.
: >
: > Is it possible that the card is unable to "flip"
: > and mplayer crashes when it tells the card to do so?
:
: No, doesn't seem like a problem related to the video card, BGR stuff if
: just tested very rarely, it could be something missed while porting
: to AMD64 architecture.
:

The machine uses a 32/64 bit Intel processor.  I don't know if that is
"AMD64 architecture" or not.

So from what you are saying, I ought to try building the 32-bit
version of mplayer (which I know works on my various 32-bit machines)
and see if that works.

I'm new to x86_64 multilib machines.  I will have to figure out what
to pull onto the machine to do this and hope that I don't create a
rat's nest for the package manager.

Dean