[MPlayer-users] mplayer crash on 64-bit Fedora Core 6 machine.

Dean S. Messing deanm at sharplabs.com
Fri May 11 17:48:40 CEST 2007

On Fri, 11 May 2007 10:33:49, Dominik Mierzejewski wrote:
: On Friday, 11 May 2007 at 00:47, Dean S. Messing wrote:
: >
: > Mplayer is consistently crashing on my new 64-bit research machine.
: > Before I go to the trouble re-building with debugging turned on and
: > try to generate a proper error report, I wonder if anyone can see
: > something obvious with my machine that would cause this.
:
: No, please submit a proper bugreport.

I have some new results below that may preclude this.
(But I will if I must :-)

: http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports_what.html#bugreports_crash
:
: You'll need to recompile from latest SVN snapshot, though.

The problem appears to lie with my strange video card.
Recall that the card is a special one provided by ATI to
Tohsiba to drive their 4096x2160.  My understanding from Toshiba
is that it merely had its timing circuits tweeked to handle the
special reqs. of their 4096x2160 display.  But evidently the
card is very limited.  For example it does not seem to
"XV" capability.

In the current case I'm using the card it to drive an ordinary
1920x1080 Flat Panel.

: [...]
: > When I start Mplayer on a known good raw rgb .avi file using:
:
: How do you know it's a known good file? Does anything else play it?

The avi plays just fine using the .i386 (32-bit) version of the same
mplayer package under both Fedora Core 5 and Fedora Core 6.  Indeed,
I've been contructing such raw RGB avi files from individual image
sequences (using transcode) for four years and mplayer always happily
plays them.

: >     mplayer -vo x11 sequence_1.avi
: >
: > it prints out the info at the bottom of this message.  This happens
: > when I use the pre-packaged mplayer (x86_64) from Fedora and when I
: > re-build the package from the source package myself on the target
: > machine.
: >
: > The package is:
: >
: >    mplayer-1.0-0.72.20070325svn.x86_64.rpm
:
: Good.
:
: [...]
: > [deanm at fovea media]$ mplayer -vo x11 spinCalendar_orig.aviw
: > MPlayer SVN-r22817 rpm.livna.org (C) 2000-2007 MPlayer Team
: > CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU            5130  @ 2.00GHz (Family: 6, Model: 15, Ste\
: > pping: 6)
: > CPUflags:  MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 0 3DNow2: 0 SSE: 1 SSE2: 1
: > Compiled with runtime CPU detection.
: > mplayer: could not connect to socket
: > mplayer: No such file or directory
: > Failed to open LIRC support. You will not be able to use your remote control.
: >
: > Playing spinCalendar_orig.avi.
: > AVI file format detected.
: > AVI: No audio stream found -> no sound.
: > VIDEO:  []  1280x720  24bpp  15.000 fps  331776.0 kbps (40500.0 kbyte/s)
:
: No FourCC? That's odd.

I don't know what this means.

<snip>
: >
: >
: > MPlayer interrupted by signal 11 in module: filter_video
: > - MPlayer crashed by bad usage of CPU/FPU/RAM.
: >   Recompile MPlayer with --enable-debug and make a 'gdb' backtrace and
: >   disassembly. Details in DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports_what.html#bugreports_crash.
: > - MPlayer crashed. This shouldn't happen.
: >   It can be a bug in the MPlayer code _or_ in your drivers _or_ in your
: >   gcc version. If you think it's MPlayer's fault, please read
: >   DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports.html and follow the instructions there. We can't and
: >   won't help unless you provide this information when reporting a possible bug.
:
: MPlayer tries all available colourspace converters and one of them crashes.
:
: Could you upload a short clip from your file so that we can reproduce the
: crash, too?

Here is what I discovered last evening.  It it related to your remark.
The ATI card has some very odd limitations.  When I tried
this commandline:

  mplayer -vo x11 -vc rawbgr24 sequence_1.avi

the sequence plays except its flipped top-to-bottom.

I think  .avi was encoded by transcode as "rawbgr24flip".
(Not sure what I'm talking about here :-)

Here's what midentify give (on a machine where mplayer works properly):

    ID_VIDEO_ID=0
    ID_CLIP_INFO_NAME0=Software
    ID_CLIP_INFO_VALUE0=transcode-1.0.2
    ID_CLIP_INFO_N=1
    ID_FILENAME=sequence_1.avi
    ID_DEMUXER=avi
    ID_VIDEO_FORMAT=0x00000000
    ID_VIDEO_BITRATE=331776000
    ID_VIDEO_WIDTH=1280
    ID_VIDEO_HEIGHT=720
    ID_VIDEO_FPS=15.000
    ID_VIDEO_ASPECT=0.0000
    ID_LENGTH=36.67
    ID_VIDEO_CODEC=rawbgr24flip

If I use either

mplayer -vo x11 -vc rawbgr24flip sequence_1.avi

or

mplayer -vo x11 -vc rawbgr24 -flip sequence_1.avi

mplayer crashes. Just before it crashes it puts up
its display window for a split second.

Is it possible that the card is unable to "flip"
and mplayer crashes when it tells the card to do so?
(I dislike this ATI card, but I'm unfortunately forced
to use it to do my work :-)

Dean