[MPlayer-users] (stream) file association for win32 commandline mplayer

seb at willemijns.com seb at willemijns.com
Tue May 8 11:23:40 CEST 2007

On Wed, 2 May 2007 14:12:47 +0000 (UTC), Compn <tempn at twmi.rr.com>
wrote:

>for m3u and other playlists just add -playlist before %%1...

thanks it works

>or you can just associate files to mplayer.exe , right click a file and open
>with > browse > mplayer.exe (and check open with by default) then it works fine
>and opens mplayer...

copy of a message i've just wroten on usenet:

sorry for the late answer, i have tried more than 20 stupid solutions
(and the same number of GHOST imagefile to restore lol) since these
days and now i have found what i want... i can change my file
association in any case ;)

in fact file association under windows XP depends of mime associations
and extension file so to force it to launch what you want they are 3
solutons (not of all can works, i think third works in all case)

1) force path and application filename you want instead of default
file association

ftype IrfanView.mp3="e:\mplayer\mplayer.exe" "%%1"
ftype IrfanView.ogg="e:\mplayer\mplayer.exe" "%%1"
ftype IrfanView.wav="e:\mplayer\mplayer.exe" "%%1"

2) classical assoc and ftype function

assoc .mp4=ztemp1
ftype ztemp1="e:\mplayer\mplayer.exe" "%%1"

3) the registry method, use this hack to simulate "open with"
explorer.exe right click option

file.reg
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Applications]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Applications\fake_vivilproject_fileextension1.exe]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Applications\fake_vivilproject_fileextension1.exe\shell]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Applications\fake_vivilproject_fileextension1.exe\shell\open]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Applications\fake_vivilproject_fileextension1.exe\shell\open\command]
@="\"E:\\mplayer\\mplayer.exe\" -playlist \"%1\""

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.m3u]
@=""
"Application"="fake_vivilproject_fileextension1.exe"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.pls]
@=""
"Application"="fake_vivilproject_fileextension1.exe"

>for firefox i use media player connectivity extension
>which works well. it just fakes that you have the quicktime/real/windows media
>but instead loads the console mplayer :)

yes i know this firefox addon but i does not like to use plugin... i'm
now working on it to find where are stored file assoc under FX...