[MPlayer-users] playlist suggestion

Joey Parrish joey.parrish at gmail.com
Tue May 1 01:08:55 CEST 2007

On 4/30/07, Robert Parker <theparkers.mailbox at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm experimenting launching mplayer from within a web browser to play
> different types of web content. The problem is that for playlist files
> (.asx, .ram etc) I have to add the "-playlist" parameter but for
> actual media files (.wmv, .ra) the "-playlist" parameter should not be
> used. So what do I for configuring the browser? I could create a batch
> file or shell file that the browser launches for playlist extensions:

Or how about this:

mplayer $* || mplayer -playlist $*

If mplayer fails without playlist, add playlist and try again.
Lame, but quick.

Also, take a look at libmpdemux/extension.c.  Once the format
detection code gives up, the table in that file is consulted.
DEMUXER_TYPE_PLAYLIST is the type you're interested in.

There's already entries for pls and m3u to be set as
DEMUXER_TYPE_PLAYLIST, but they are commented out.  Don't know why.
The asx extension defaults to ASF parser.  Also not sure why.  I'm no
expert, but I seem to recall seeing lots of MS streaming playlists
ending with asx.

--Joey