[MPlayer-users] Erroneous Aspect Ratio detection on DVDs with Pan&Scan Feature

Alexander Roalter alex at roalter.it
Fri Mar 30 10:18:01 CEST 2007

RC wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 17:42:59 +0200
> Alexander Roalter <alex at roalter.it> wrote:
>
>> Although these DVDs are encoded anamorphic, mplayer thinks
>> they're not and shows a stretched picture. Adding -aspect 16:9 helps,
>> but this should be done automatically, as the correct aspect ratio is
>> misdetected.
>
> Try to play it with dvdnav:// and see if you get proper aspect ratio.
cannot do it right now, since the dvd is not in the drive as of now, and
ATM I'm at work. You'll have to wait 'til evening, then I can tell more.
Please read the other message too, ifo_dump from the libdvdread package
(not the one contained in mplayer) prints a "pan&scan+letterboxed"
property for the given DVD.