[MPlayer-users] dvd tracks

Alexander Roalter alex at roalter.it
Thu Mar 29 18:06:47 CEST 2007

Bayrouni wrote:
> I read this on the net:
> IFO:information file that stores information about Chapters, Subtitles
> and Audio Tracks.
>
> My question is:
> Is it still possible to retrieve all theses information without the IFO
> files?
>
> Example:
> mplayer dvd://1 -dumpstream -dumpfile title.vob
> Can I retrieve all the audio tracks, subtitles, angles, etc from
> title.vob using mplayer -identify or mplayer -some_option |grep
> something? (without theses  *.IFO files)
> Thank you.

you can play the file title.vob later on by directly addressing the
desired stream number. -alang or -slang won't work since the language
mapping is also stored in the IFO file.

So you have to either note down the language mapping from the ifo file
(is printed on screen when playing, but also when using -v or -identify)
or simply try different values for -aid (starting from 128) and -sid
(starting from 0).

-chapters also won't work, since the chapter information is stored in
the IFO too. The chapter timestamps are printed out with -identify, so
you can try with -ss xx:xx:xx

multi-angle gets dropped when dumping a file, this has nothing to do
with the IFO file (though I presume it's dropped because the IFO file
would be necessary for playing such a multi-angle file.

Lastly, the colors for the subtitles aren't anymore the same as before,
since the palette entries can be found, surprise, surprise, int the IFO
file.

hth,
Alex