[MPlayer-users] Help with Mplayer and SRT subtitles

Jason Garrett-Glaser darkshikari at gmail.com
Sun Mar 25 17:55:12 CEST 2007

I recently switched over to mencoder on Windows XP for transcoding as
it is completely transparent even with MKVs, H.264, AAC, and so forth,
while most other programs seem to require AviSynth hackneying.
However, I've run into one problem; the subtitles don't show up,
either in mencoder or mplayer.

The source MKV files are as follows:

Track 1: H.264/AVC encoded with x264
Track 2: HeAAC audio
Track 3: SRT subtitles

However, when playing them back with mplayer, even though the third
track is seen, it appears to not be parsed at any point, and they
simply don't show up.  Clearly this means it doesn't show up when
transcoded with mencoder either.  I've tried many options, but I can't
get the subtitles to show up at all.  However, they work fine using
FFDshow+Haali Media Splitter (Combined Community Codec Pack) on any
regular Windows media player like MPC, Zoomplayer, etc.

It must be an option I'm missing, but I can't seem to find anything in the docs.

Mplayer version: 1.0rc1-3.4.2.  Binary codecs are installed.
Windows version: XP, SP2
Specs: Core 2 Duo 2Ghz, 2GB RAM, GeForce 7700

Thanks in advance for the help, and don't get mad if it turns out I
just forgot some command-line option ;)