[MPlayer-users] Cropping in original-size vs reduced-size

Nico Sabbi nicola_sabbi at fastwebnet.it
Sat Mar 24 22:08:23 CET 2007

Jorge Fábregas wrote:
> On Saturday 24 March 2007 2:22 pm, Nico Sabbi wrote:
>
>>cropping weighs next to nothing on the cpu, thus performance will not
>>be sensibly better with method #2
>

> I have no performance problems at all and actually, performance is not an
> issue for me with this. My main concern is the correctness of the vertical
> compensation applied during the scaling (assuming you have to remove some
> noise from top and bottom).

I don't understand what you mean with "vertical compensation"

>>As I wrote in my previous mail in both cases you will distort your
>>encode if you don't use scale=x':-10
>

> Could you please explain the '-10" part?  I read the man page but I still
> don't get it quite well.
>
> Thanks Nico.
>
> Regards,
> Jorge

from TFM:
scale=<w>,<h>
                       scaled width/height (default: original
width/height)
                       NOTE: If -zoom is used, and underlying filters
  (includ-
                       ing  libvo)  are  incapable  of  scaling, it
defaults to
                       d_width/d_height!
                           0:   scaled d_width/d_height
                          -1:   original width/height
                          -2:   Calculate w/h using the other
dimension and the
                          prescaled aspect ratio.
                          -3:   Calculate w/h using the other
dimension and the
                          original aspect ratio.
                          -(n+8): Like -n above, but rounding the
dimension  to
                          the closest multiple of 16.

so -10 means -2:   Calculate w/h using the other dimension and the
                          prescaled aspect ratio rounding the
dimension  to
                          the closest multiple of 16

--
"Without a frontend, mplayer is useless" - someone in mplayer-users