[MPlayer-users] damaged DVD

Adam Frank adam at antilogo.org
Sat Mar 24 16:24:44 CET 2007

> Is it possible to make a copy of my DVD when it is apparently slightly
> harmed.

It might be worthwhile to try copying the vobs off the DVD, then using
mplayer/mencoder from there.

vobcopy is decent app for doing this (and it decrypts the vobs using
libdvdcss instream), but in this case simply mounting the DVD and
attempting to pull the data off as efficiently as possible is probably
your best bet. I've outlined the various methods below (primarily for
linux):

mount /dev/dvd /mnt/dvd
"vobcopy -m /mnt/dvd /home/dvd" OR "rsync -avr /mnt/dvd /home/dvd"
mplayer dvd:// -dvd-device /home/dvd

if none of this works, you could try dd (this process is almost
certainly linux-only)

dd if=/dev/dvd of=/home/dvd.iso bs=1M
mount -o loop /home/dvd.iso /mnt/dvd
mplayer dvd:// -dvd-device /mnt/dvd/ OR
mplayer dvd:// -dvd-device /home/dvd.iso

I'm not sure what one's options are in Windows, aside from downloading
Knoppix =) Hope this helps...