[MPlayer-users] Re: Improper scaling on 5:4 display

Alexander Roalter alex at roalter.it
Tue Mar 20 11:34:04 CET 2007

Tobias Diedrich wrote:
> Jorge Fábregas wrote:
>> I knew about non-square pixels on TV's...but I thought all computer monitors
>> (CRT's and LCD's) had square pixels... :(
>
> Not always. 1280x1024 on a 4:3 display is not square for example.

Which is why it is crappy using this resolution on a CRT: circles are no
circles, squares are no squares, everything is too flat, since no
program (except mplayer which correctly assumes 4:3 display and expands
everything according) can handle non-square pixels correctly. Background
images with the nicest of views are not what they ought to be.

I really love the additional width, but I'll stick with my 1280x960
resolution (on the CRT).

cheers,
Alex