[MPlayer-users] multiple subtitles support

maximo at violadores.org maximo at violadores.org
Tue Mar 20 02:57:18 CET 2007

On Tue, Mar 20, 2007 at 12:14:42AM +0100, Pepe wrote:
> El Miércoles, 14 de Marzo de 2007 04:27, Maximo Ramos escribió:
> > Hi!!
> >
> > I just searched the archives, found one guy with a feature request to
> > show two subtitles in a movie ... it was dated 2004.
> >
> > The answers he got were just dirty workarounds.
> >
> > Now, 2007, can mplayer support the display of two subtitles at the same
> > time in a movie? (probably one in the upper and the other in the bottom)
> >
> > THANKS! :)
>
> Maybe using a SSA subtitle?
>
> Look at this screenshot:
> http://www.uploadfile.info/uploads/976caf0bda.jpg
>
> (taken from this video:
> http://www.matroska.org/samples/mewmew/downloads/mewmew-vorbis-ssa.mkv)
>
> It displays Japanese with latin characters on the top, and Japanese with
> Japanese characters on the bottom.
>
> --
> Pepe

Hi!!

Does that mean that I have to REENCODE my video files? is that the proper way to do it?

What I meant for multiple subtitles support was like this scenario:

1. You fetch your favorite video from somewhere

2. You fetch the original subtitle (same language as the movie) from yet some other place

3. You fetch a translated subtitle from another place.

The idea is for mplayer to play the movie, and display both subtitiles at the same time, one at the bottom, the other on the up position.

My question: is this possible without having to reencode the whole movie?

It is not worth to do the reencode thing, because I watch the videos once and then delete them.

THANKS!