[MPlayer-users] Can I create an "mplayer | filter | mencoder" pipeline?

Stephen Mollett molletts at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 16 20:12:20 CET 2007

On Friday 16 Mar 2007, noah at noah.org wrote:
> Is there a way to do this with a command-line pipe line?
> I can modify the filter to use other still image formats besides JPEG.
> For example, I would like to do something like this:
>   $ mplayer shaky_video.avi | stabilo_filter.py | mencoder steady_video.avi

Off the top of my head (and a quick check of the manpage), you could try -vo
yuv4mpeg. You'll probably need to specify a fifo as the output file and have
your filter reading its input from there (unless it's possible to get mplayer
to output the stream to stdout and be otherwise completely silent on
stdout) - you could use bash process substitution to look after that -
perhaps something like:

mplayer -vo yuv4mpeg:file=>(filter | mencoder ...) shaky_video.avi

HTH
Stephen