[MPlayer-users] Segfault in mplayer

Guillaume POIRIER poirierg at gmail.com
Sun Mar 11 11:37:18 CET 2007

Hi,

On 3/11/07, qsd at rogers.com <qsd at rogers.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just tried to watch one movie, and mplayer keeps getting segfaults
> during playback... It only happens with this particular movie, rarely at
> the same position in the movie, but I haven't been able to watch more
> than about 15 min without mplayer crashing... And it works just fine
> with all the other movies.

If problems happen at random position, it could be a RAM or
CPU-related problem. Make sure that your RAM is fine (run memtest86)
and that your CPU runs cool.

> It _could_ be a problem with the movie, but still, it's not supposed to
> crash... And since it crashes at random positions, playing it just fine
> on the next run, or playing any part after skipping to it, I'm pretty
> sure that's a bug in mplayer.

Could be. Did you test with other files with same codec, and same
resolution? Maybe this sample crashes because it stresses your CPU/RAM
more than other codecs...

> The system is amd64 debian, kernel 2.6.17.7, nvidia video, alsa sound.
> Debug info from gdb is included below. I checked out the latest mplayer
> version just before running this.

I don't see anything suspicious on the backtrace. I'd just suggest
checking if your hardware is fine.

Guillaume