[MPlayer-users] Crash on OS X 10.3.9

Risto Suominen risto.suominen at gmail.com
Sat Mar 10 13:54:51 CET 2007

On 3/10/07, Risto Suominen <risto.suominen at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/9/07, Guillaume POIRIER <poirierg at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On 3/9/07, Risto Suominen <risto.suominen at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Now this is getting interesting... (This is my first experience with Xcode)
> > >
> > > I took the old-style project into Xcode (1.5) and manually changed
> > > some file names and unchecked the localization part. Then I could
> > > actually compile it. And run, but only once.
> >
> > Please send the updated "old-style" project file, I'll check it in.
> >

> > > It complained about the machine not having altivec support (and
> > > forcing framedrop), but continued and looked ok (a menu bar and a
> > > small control panel window). I just quit and started again, and now it
> > > crashed, just like the binary installation did.
> > >
> > > The question is whether this has something to do with my machine, OS
> > > X, or mplayer?
> >
> > I advise you to compile mplayer with a simple ./configure && make
> > then try playing a file with: ./mplayer path_to_my_file
> >
> > If it works, then the problem isn't due to mplayer.
> >

> > > So, if I compile a new version every time I need it...
> >
> > Do you mean that it works everytime you run it from a fresh compilation?
> >
> > That's rather strange.
> >
> > Guillaume
> >

> Well, that's what I meant, but it wasn't that easy. This is among the
> strangest I've seen. Twice it has started: the first time I tried with
> the binary package and then with my own compilation.
>
> Mplayer works from command line, so it's MPlayer OSX that's crashing.
> I wonder how it's supposed to locate mplayer?
>
> One correction to my previous mails: my Xcode is of version 1.1.
>
> Making gives some warnings:
>
> VideoOpenGLView.m:140: conflicting types for `-(void)drawRect:(NSRect *)bounds'
> NSView.h:200: previous declaration of `-(void)drawRect:(NSRect)rect'
> (I cannot say how serious this is)
>
> MplayerInterface.m:1062: unknown conversion type character 0x20 in format
> (probably easy to fix, a % sign missing, I believe)
>
> 2007-03-10 10:40:30.846 xcodebuild[900] Container
> <PBXProject:0x00380090:rtn=1:29B97313FDCFA39411CA2CEA:path='(null)'>
> still contains 2 items after being deallocated.  This might be a
> memory leak, or an item not being properly marked as removed from its
> container before being deallocated.
> (this comes after COMPLETED, no idea why)
>
> And since the result won't run on my machine, I can't say everything
> is correct in the project file, but I'll mail it to you... I also had
> to make changes in Makefile and create_dmg script. The .svn
> directories end up inside the installer, they shouldn't...
>
> Risto

The story continues... I installed my package on another Panther
system, it worked, once, and the system became contaminated. It
doesn't help to remove and reinstall the package. I think there must
be some 'memory' in the operating system itself.

Could it have something to do with altivec? On the first (successful)
run, I get a warning about not having altivec support. No changes are
made inside the installed application bundle, however. Does MPlayer
OSX keep some settings somewhere else?

Risto