[MPlayer-users] weird problem with -demuxer lafv and mp4 files

ajaxas ajaxas at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 18:12:49 CET 2007

On Fri, 9 Mar 2007 18:40:30 +0200
Nick Koretsky <nikita at public.ua.net> wrote:

> > Well, there's a lot of strange things with the way(s) mplayer handles MP4
> > container demuxing.  As you just mentioned, there are two demuxers:
> > MOV/MP4 demuxer and lavf, and both don't work correctly.
>
> Well, my problem doesn't seems to be purely mplayer's, because -demuxer
> lavf does work for some people without mentioned slideshow effect!

That's me, for example.

> > 1. Lavf doesn't handle subtitles and sometimes fails on files which
> > MOV/MP4 demuxer does properly. Usually, it doesn't decode audio stream.
> > Here's the example:
>
> use -vc +(codec) for .mp4 with not ac3 sound

That solves the problem, thanks, but what if I don't want to start mplayer with
pure CLI every time? I like to use old good mc!
It's a bug I think, when lavf cannot determine the correct vc/ac while MOV/MP4
demuxer is able to.

> > 2. Another bug has already been reported for several times: irrelevant to
> > demuxer enabled, mplayer shows wrong length (time) of MP4 files. For
> > example, 8 seconds, or just several minutes. Usually, you cannot seek
> > past some point in these cases - playback will jump to the beginning of
> > the file.
> >
> > Inconvenient.
> >

> I have reported that too. But this can easy be fixed - remux file with
> MP4Box, files created by it never have this syndrome....

Do I have to reassemble each file I wanna play? :)) It doesn't seem that much
*user friendly * to me! :D
Also, these files are processed normally with MPC and even Kaffeine, AFAIR.

--
ajaxas <ajaxas at gmail.com>