[MPlayer-users] Compiling MPlayer fails
forod.g at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 10:31:40 CET 2007
On Thu 01 Mar, 2007 at 07:22:50 -0500, The Wanderer wrote:
> Gianluca Fiore wrote:
>>On Wed 28 Feb, 2007 at 07:18:54 -0500, The Wanderer wrote:
>>>Gianluca Fiore wrote:
>>>>May I ask why this kind of behaviour? I'm a long time cvs/svn
>>>>mplayer user and for many years enabling options from the
>>>>configure script was *ok*. Now why isn't so anymore?
>>>In MPlayer's configure script, '--enable' means "do not perform any
>>>autodetection; assume that everything necessary for this feature
>>>is present, including all necessary special compiler options". If
>>>you use it, you need to explicitly specify include directories and
>>>linker flags via the appropriate configure options.
>>>This is not a change; it has been the case for quite literally as
>>>long as I have been following MPlayer development (i.e. since the
>>>0.90 release series), although for some while in the "early" years
>>>it was not consistent across the entirety of configure (and in some
>>>places it may still not be).
>>>If it "worked" for you before, that was a coincidence; all of your
>>>necessary header files and libraries happened to be in places where
>>>MPlayer (and/or the compiler) knew to look for them by default,
>>>and no specific linker flags were necessary.
>>>Personally, I find it a little implausible that MPlayer was ever
>>>able to find the XviD libraries with no linker options (i.e.
>>>'-lxvidcore'), but I have no particular reason to accuse you of
>>>lying about it.
>>I've been using these options to configure for a long time (around a
>>year) without any problem, until two weeks ago when it stopped the
>>compiling with the error reported in my first message. Removing
>>"--enable-xvid" did resolve the problem, as you suggested me to do.
>> --prefix=/usr --enable-gui --disable-arts --disable-smb \
>> --enable-sdl --enable-x11 --enable-theora --confdir=/etc/mplayer \
>> --win32codecsdir=/usr/lib/win32 --enable-faad-external --enable-menu \
>> --enable-tv-v4l1 --enable-tv-v4l2 --enable-largefiles --enable-xvid
>>It may be implausible to you, but this worked for me for so long that
>>I thought it was a "correct" way to compile MPlayer. Should I
>>consider myself very lucky to got it working even when it shouldn't?
> Extraordinarily so - possibly supernaturally so.
> If you could obtain a copy of the older version which did work for you
> with this configure line, I would be at least mildly interested to see
> both what version (revision) it was and what the generated compiler
> command line for compiling the XviD-dependent files was. ("Two weeks
> ago", unfortunately, is a little bit too imprecise to narrow down an
> exact revision.)
Ok, last revision working to me was 22209. It's possible though that
more recent ones could have been ok too, I don't compile every day
MPlayer, I do it only after a new version of some codecs or after I
think it's been a long time :-)
>>So, at the end of the day, would be more "correct" to use only the
>>first line (the prefix, disables and gui options)?
> The options which I believe will not be autodetected to the settings you
> seem to be requesting there are:
> For future reference, simply examine the output of 'configure --help';
> any options marked as "[autodetect]" should not need to have --enable
> explicitly specified, and indeed in most cases should fail to work with
> --enable unless other options are explicitly specified.
Ok, got it. In future I will use only the above mentioned lines, thanks.
> The Wanderer
> Warning: Simply because I argue an issue does not mean I agree with any
> side of it.
> Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.
> MPlayer-users mailing list
> MPlayer-users at mplayerhq.hu
More information about the MPlayer-users