[MPlayer-users] Intelligent dynamic scaling.

Baxter Kylie baxter.kylie at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 19:40:29 CEST 2007

On 6/28/07, Reimar Döffinger <Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de> wrote:
> What I meant to say is that -vo gl lets you choose between linear and
> bicubic scaling for the _hardware_ scaling (if supported by hardware and
> drivers, -vo gl:yuv=2:lscale=1 is an example commandline to enable it),
> which might be good enough for some so they don't need to use
> this script which involves using slow software scaling.
> With the newer graphics card I have nowadays I probably could extend it
> even to support adding noise etc., but I doubt I'll have time too soon.

Yes. Excellent points. This type of wrapper has uses best suited to
quality mavens with a lot of extra hardware or ultra-limited hardware
(without gl support). Usually I trust a slow resource-intensive
software scale over a hardware scale when it comes to raw quality
(maybe this is my ffdshow / zoomplayer roots showing) though I'm
welcome to entertaining thoughts to the contrary. Bicubic spline is a
/slow/ scaler but the results are very pretty as are those of lanczos.

If I find time this weekend I'll load up a low res video (probably one
of the 'bonus disc' original star wars theatrical releases --
widescreen inside a 4:3 letterbox rips to an image about 300 pixels
high) and grab some screenshots of the sws and the gl.

~BK