[MPlayer-users] Linux 2.6.20 mplayer rc1 overwhelmed playing 720p mkv...

CD Baric cdbaric at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 22:09:29 CEST 2007

On 6/27/07, RC <cooleyr at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 19:15:50 -0700
> "CD Baric" <cdbaric at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > mplayer almost immediately balks. The audio loses sync with the video
> > and complains about buffers being overloaded.
>
> Your CPU is quite likely too slow to play highdef h264 video.  See
> -lavdopts in the man page for possible speed-ups (skiploopfilter for
> one) or encode it to any other format.

Thanks for the feedback.

Just for fun, I tried using the null video out argument:

mplayer -vo null 'Coyote Ugly.mkv'

And I was still faced with the same error messages and failed play.
Could the problem really be about the audio?

I find it hard to believe that a 1.8 GHz CPU with 1 Gig of memory is
too slow to play these files - there must be something wrong with the
mkv decoding or container system.

What do other users report playing mkv files?

One last thought - how do I rip a mkv file into an avi file format?

Bar