[MPlayer-users] Compiling current SVN with dvdnav support (and some other issues)

Nico Sabbi nicola_sabbi at fastwebnet.it
Sat Jun 16 17:48:08 CEST 2007

Alexander Roalter wrote:

>In order to play the Sony's Arccos-Protected DVD I need dvdnav://, which
>plays these DVDs rather well, but I don't seem to be able to compile it
>again with current SVN.
>
>My last working copy is SNV 22963, with current 23561 it is not possible
>to compile it as I did before. I have installed libdvdcss 1.2.9 in my
>system externally (as was suggested on this list time ago) to make it
>work with libdvdnav, which version is 0.1.10.
>
>When doing configure in mplayer, dvdnav is not detected, as the test for
>dvdnav-config --version --minilibs is not understood by dvdnav-config,
>and so this check does not go through. Removing the --minilibs there,
>dvdnav is detected, but compile fails at the last stage (when linking
>mplayer)
>

>Is there something I'm doing wrong?

you need dvdnav from svn://svn.mplayerhq.hu/dvdnav/trunk/libdvdnav

>Which version of dvdnav resp. dvdcss should be installed globally and
>which have to be left internally in mplayer (as with libdvdread?)

better using the external dvdread (0.9.6)

>Is there a recipe of some sort to make this working?

svn update :)

>On the other hand, I know subtitle support for DVDs is still lacking at
>a great deal, but is there some possibility to get these improved:
>* Subtitle colors are somewhat off with DVDNAV (but not only). Is there
>a way to correctly refer to a palette (either externally or
>automatically in the appropriate IFO)?
>* And there are still some issues with multi-angle and subtitles, as
>they appear altogether within one angle, which makes it ATM impossible
>to watch star wars with the correct subtitles (those foreign speeches)
>as everything is mixed up.

?? I have SWIII and I don't have problems with subtitles.
Elaborate, please

>* within DVDnav mode, the lenght of the video is always 0 seconds
>(displayed in the OSD)

no, only in certain menus, but not when playing titles

>* with or withouth DVDnav, is there a possibility to switch between the
>current mpeg timestamp (which is sometimes restarted when at the layer
>break) and the real timestamp, i.e. when the timestamp goes to 0 after
>being somewhat other then zero, simply add these two???

the osd always shows the timestamp read from the IFOs
(thus it doesn't reset except at title boundaries)

>* with -af xxxx, *any* filter applied thereafter breaks mplayer when the
># key is pressed, thus making it impossible to switch audio channels
>during playback.

sadly...

>* I'm using dvdnav not for the menus, but for the working playback on
>the copy-protected discs. Is there any way this behavior could be
>implemented in the normal dvd playback mode, as I like its debug output
>much better (esp. the audio tracks/formats and subtitle listing).

no, it would mean duplicating the VM in dvdnav. You could help us
improve the
the debug output instead