[MPlayer-users] 2->6 channels pan

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Sat Jun 9 22:33:41 CEST 2007

Captain Blade wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I am fairly new to mplayer, so please forgive my ignorance. :-)
> I am trying to play 2-channel audio on my 5.1 speakers. I have a VIA
> 8251 sound (Realtek ALC 655 chip).
> I read the manual (http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/advaudio.html),
> and devised that I have to pan
> my 2 channel input to 6 channel output, duplicating FL to RL, FR to RR,
> and mixing the left and right to center and subwoffer.
> By the manual, I should have 2 groups of 6 mulipliers in pan:
> mplayer 01\ -\ Yumeji.mp3 -channels 2 -af
> pan=6:1:0:1:0:0.5:0.5:0:1:0:1:0.5:0.5

I just crawled behind my computer with a pair of headphones, and there's
nothing wrong with your pan options (although I question whether you
really want to mix stereo into your center speaker).

Specifying '-channels 2' is not necessary, since the input is 2-channel
anyway.

> It displays "AO: [oss] 44100Hz 6ch s16le (2 bytes per sample)", but
> still plays only in FL and FR speakers.
> When I test the speakers with "AO: [oss] 44100Hz 6ch s16le (2 bytes per
> sample)", it works fine with all channels.

I don't know what you mean here. Are you saying that when you test with
a 6-channel audio file it works fine?

Please post the full output of mplayer.

-Corey