[MPlayer-users] Dumping VOBSub

Larry Reznick lreznick at idistream.com
Mon Jul 23 22:45:37 CEST 2007

Rashkae wrote:
> Larry Reznick wrote:
>

>> So, the notebook system's Sony drive just won't accept turning DMA on.
>> Could be a problem with the Linux driver and that drive, or the drive
>> design is simply too crippled. BTW, interestingly, my notebook's hard
>> drive, a Samsung HM160JI, supports UDMA5 but doesn't let me check it and
>> doesn't let me change it from 16-bit to 32-bit:
> All DVD drives support UDMA (by necessity).. your DVD drive is an IDE
> model.  I suspect your kernel doesn't have support for the IDE chipset
> in your notebook and is falling back to generic IDE.  I'm sorry, but I'm
> not sure how to help you identify the IDE chipset you need.
>
> As for your Hard Drive, that's a SATA drive, there's no need to set
> transfer modes with hdparm for those (as you can see, it doesn't work
> anyhow.).. Don't worry, you're getting full performance from the hard drive.

The notebook is an Inspiron 9400. I think you're right that the problem
is in kernel support for the chipset. lspci reports:

00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801GBM/GHM (ICH7 Family)
Serial ATA Storage Controller IDE (rev 01)

but that may not be the same chip the optical drive is using. At some
point I'm going to have to upgrade my kernel (currently
2.6.19-1.2911.6.4.fc6) but I've put that off because I'd have to upgrade
the ATI driver & the Broadcom wireless driver, both of which were a bit
of a pain. I'll probably get Fedora 7 loaded & use that as the upgrade
excuse, but the kernel driver may not be much better.

In the meantime, especially since my cache tests this morning, the
method that seems best is to dump the VOB to the hard drive, as I had
been doing, and enable the subtitles while playing that dumped file.

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

--Larry