[MPlayer-users] FWD: Feature request

Alexander Roalter alex at roalter.it
Fri Jul 20 12:56:14 CEST 2007

The Wanderer wrote:

>> -Audio pitch automatically corrected if playback speed-up or down
>> (voices are comprehensible even in 2x)
>
> I have not noticed pitch differences when playing too-fast-by-default
> files slowed down with the -speed option.

The pitch is noticeable, if not on speech, then at least on music. Just
play a DVD with the universal logo in front at normal speed (I'm talking
about a PAL DVD) and then at 0.96 speed (= 24fps). The tonal difference
is about half a tone.

Auto pitch correction though is not something I wanted on by default. I
play all my PAL dvds @ 24fps thus getting the original pitch as it would
be from a NTSC dvd (or in the cinema). Only very few DVDs have already a
pitch-corrected soundtrack, where the sound then would be too low. At
this point a pitch heightening would be useful (but there is already a
plugin for it, although I didn't try it yet)

--
cheers,
Alex