[MPlayer-users] Peer Test: Apple.com Tailer video. Problem of initi second replay in loop?

RainerStroebel at t-online.de RainerStroebel at t-online.de
Tue Jul 17 19:32:07 CEST 2007

-----Original Message-----

http://images.apple.com/movies/disney/the_game_plan/the_game_plan-tlr1_h320.mov

http://images.apple.com/movies/disney/the_game_plan/the_game_plan-tlr1_h480.mov

> > The same content with two different sizes. mplayerplug-in (a
> > separate project to mplayer) knows how to deal with these files and
> > will pic the better of the two for playback.
> >
> > Gecko-mediaplayer also knows these are two separate files but at
> > this point, just adds both files to its playlist.
> >
> > Kevin

> > Hello Kevin,
> >
> > this is one step to the problem
> >
> > The first URL plays  and terminat  at the end  on my   system
> > The second URL displays the logo screen and than runs into trouble.
> >
> > Can you confirm this on your system?
> >
> > mplayer

http://images.apple.com/movies/disney/the_game_plan/the_game_plan-tlr1_h480.mov

> > Rainer
> >

> Both of the content files play correctly on my machine when I add
> -cache 2048 to my mplayer command line. I would recommend a cache
> setting when playing media from the internet since _generally_ mplayer
> consumes video data at a higher rate than it can be delivered.
>
> Kevin

Hello Kevin, hello Guillaume,

the option   "-cache 2048"  solves the problem here too.

Thanks for your support!!!

The solution does trigger a new question:

MPlayer and the cache usage
======================

By the usage of MPalyer I have notice:

1.  The  execution  of the program result in usage of  cache with
different sizes and  cache-min setting by program logic.

2. In the testcase above the program logic does not assign an amount of
cache buffer and an cach-min value  > 0 setting.

3. The default setting of values for cache size and cache-min can /
could  depending of the task, the CPU type and the bandwidth by  program
logic  does make sense to me.

This especially is  required, if  MPlayer is used in an Online
environment -
 called form an Browser Plugin odr and Browser Extension.

In this case an user action is not desired for special Mplayer option
setting .

Right?

Rainer