[MPlayer-users] Mplayer in Windows, No way to make FIFO to use with "-slave -input file=fifo"?

Joe Thielen joe at joethielen.com
Fri Jul 6 06:43:05 CEST 2007

Hello all.   Love Mplayer.  In Linux.

I'm trying to get Mplayer working in a remote-controllable fashion in
Windows.  I can do this on Linux easy with:

mplayer -slave -input file=mp_pipe *.mp3

This command works fine on Windows too, but I can't figure out for the life
of my how to make a WORKING FIFO in Windows.

I've tried Cygwin, mkfifo only makes a dumb link file.
I've tried GNUWin32 Coreutiles mkfifo, but it just plain doesn't work, it
will not make a file.  I think it's just a placeholder.

Is there another way to make a FIFO on Windows (XP in particular)?

Or is there another way to do this?  I just want to be able to do dumb
things like "echo pause > mp_pipe" while mplayer is running...

Thanks in advance!!!