[MPlayer-users] mencoder: effective use of qp, crf params for x264?

matthew.garman at gmail.com matthew.garman at gmail.com
Tue Jan 30 15:28:33 CET 2007

On Mon, Jan 29, 2007 at 05:08:59PM +0100, Guillaume POIRIER wrote:
> You can think of crf as an option to select the average quality
> you want, qp as a constant quality mode, and "two pass" as
> variable quality mode.

Made me think of another question: there's a range given for crf
(1--50).  Looks like the bitrate param is open-ended.  Is there any
approximate relation between a given crf value and a specific
bitrate?  E.g., could you say crf=25 is roughly equivalent to
bitrate=1000, crf=10 is approximately bitrate=2000?

Thanks,
Matt