[MPlayer-users] How to mplay APE file directly useing mplayer?

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Tue Jan 23 20:25:17 CET 2007

Hello,
On Tue, Jan 23, 2007 at 07:45:09PM +0100, Piotr Stachura wrote:
> Dnia wtorek, 23 stycznia 2007 19:33, Reimar Döffinger napisa?:
> > On Wed, Jan 24, 2007 at 12:54:23AM +0800, kofboy wrote:
> > > How to mplay APE file directely useing mplayer?
> >
> > You can't, the format has no specification and the license is
> > GPL-incompatible, so it would have to be reverse-engineered. Demand is
> > not high enough to justify that effort I guess.
>
> I'm not a genius but according to APE license:
> http://www.monkeysaudio.com/license.html
> there shouldn't be any license problems... or mayby I'm not good in
> understanding those words :]

> 2. Monkey's Audio source can be included in GPL and open-source
> software, although Monkey's Audio itself will not be subjected to
> external licensing requirements or other viral source restrictions.

The second part of which IMO clearly says "may not be combined with GPL
code without breaking the GPL licence".
Actually, even LGPL IIRC has the restriction that you may not forbid
disassembly of the combined product, so even combining with LGPL might
be impossible with this clause. At least I can't exclude that
interpretation => not compatible with GPL or LGPL as far as I am
concerned.

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger