[MPlayer-users] avi+srt question

Pepe rvm3000 at ya.com
Sun Jan 21 19:58:54 CET 2007

El Domingo, 21 de Enero de 2007 16:49, Dragan Noveski escribió:
> hi to the list.
>
> i have produced some .srt subtitle file (using "ksubtile") for a movie
> which i have in a .avi format.
>
> what i want to do now is to put somehow the movie and the subtitles
> together.
> i am really not a movie-expert, but as i understood, the avi container
> should be modified in that way, that it is containing the .srt file, so
> that we don´t need a computer for showing this movie with a subtitles.
> in the moment i can play this stuff using mplayer very well, but the
> goal is that we can do this with a normal dvd player, which is just able
> to play .avi files too.
>
> i think that this is possible to do using mencoder, but  looking in the
> manual, i don´t find the right command, that is perhaps because i don´t
> even know how this operation is called, so i don´t know what  i should
> be looking for in the manual.

I think it's not possible to add the srt file into the avi container. You'll
have to recode the video.

> it would be very cool, if someone here can give me a simple example how
> the command should look like, sth like `mencoder puttogether
> /path/to/.avi and /path/to/.srt-file into /output/file.avi`.

Ok, this is a command I used recently:

mencoder -noodml -o new_video.avi \
  -oac copy \
  -ovc xvid \
  -xvidencopts bitrate=970:max_bframes=2 \
  -vf-add harddup \
  -force-avi-aspect 16:9 \
  -sub subtitles_file.srt -subpos 98 -subwidth 80 -subcp latin1 -ffactor 1 \
  -font /home/ricardo/.fonts/arialbd.ttf -subfont-autoscale 1 \
  -subfont-text-scale 6 -subfont-blur 0  \
  orig_video.avi

--
Pepe