[MPlayer-users] avi+srt question

Dragan Noveski perodog at gmx.net
Sun Jan 21 16:50:00 CET 2007

hi to the list.

i have produced some .srt subtitle file (using "ksubtile") for a movie
which i have in a .avi format.

what i want to do now is to put somehow the movie and the subtitles
together.
i am really not a movie-expert, but as i understood, the avi container
should be modified in that way, that it is containing the .srt file, so
that we don´t need a computer for showing this movie with a subtitles.
in the moment i can play this stuff using mplayer very well, but the
goal is that we can do this with a normal dvd player, which is just able
to play .avi files too.

i think that this is possible to do using mencoder, but  looking in the
manual, i don´t find the right command, that is perhaps because i don´t
even know how this operation is called, so i don´t know what  i should
be looking for in the manual.

it would be very cool, if someone here can give me a simple example how
the command should look like, sth like `mencoder puttogether
/path/to/.avi and /path/to/.srt-file into /output/file.avi`.

i hope that for someone reading here this will be something like easy to
help me out here.

i have here mplayer and mencoder installed and running well, since i am
doing an `svn update` pretty regularly, but actually i am using mplayer
only for being able to watch some movie on my laptop.
mencoder i am using for trancoding any other video material, for being
able to run it in the `xjadeo` appi and having an video-window running
synchronous to jackd/ardor appi.

thank you very much in advance and cheers,
doc