[MPlayer-users] cutting a vob file

Bayrouni bayrouni at brutele.be
Mon Jan 8 13:44:29 CET 2007

Corey Hickey wrote:
> Bayrouni wrote:

>>> Yes you are right.
>>> I used this :
>>> mencoder -ss 600 -endpos 625 -oac copy -ovc copy file.vob
>>>
>>> and it works :)  .
>>>
>>> The default output format is an avi with only one audio track.
>>> So I added this: -of mpeg -o file.mpeg
>>> mencoder -ss 600 -endpos 625 -oac copy -ovc copy file.vob  of mpeg
>>> -o file.mpeg
>>>
>>> but still the mpeg file contains one audio track, the default one
>>> (spanish in this case).
>>>
>>> and I added an other option , the -aid 129 to have the french audio
>>> track.
>>>
>>> Is it possible to have all the audio tracks when cutting?
>>>
>>> Or I must use an other tool like dd for linux which is not specific
>>> for video ?
>>>

>> Really mplayer or mencoder can't just cut|split a vob file in small
>> parts,  without encoding anything?
>>
>> example: file.vob --> file1.vob, file2.vob
>> Thanks
>
> Nope, mplayer/mencoder can't do that. dd can, however, and the result
> works fine as far as I know. To find the binary positions at which to
> cut, use 'mplayer -sb n', where n is some number that you mess around
> with.
>
> Of course, if you just want to make several equally-small files, use
> split.
>
> -Corey

I tried mplayer with -sb n option and it works.
But it is not intuitive to work with bytes  (sb n uses bytes only)  .
Also dd uses by defaults 512 bytes so some calculations are needed.
(but can works with kb, mb and gb)
and if I make dd to work with bytes , it will be slow while working,
copying .

It would be fine if sb n can work also with kb, mb and why not gb?

Thank you  Corey.

Bayrouni