[MPlayer-users] ASS/SSA subtitle support

smokin.jake at mac.com smokin.jake at mac.com
Sun Jan 7 14:38:46 CET 2007

On 7 Jan 2007, at 13:01, thyme pancakes wrote:

> Stupid me. 2.1.0 < 2.1.8.
>
> But I still have the problem of how to link the new version with
> configure.
>
> What to do.. What to do..
>
>> From: "thyme pancakes" <newsbought at hotmail.com>
>> To: mplayer-users at mplayerhq.hu
>> Subject: Re: [MPlayer-users] ASS/SSA subtitle support
>> Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2007 11:50:20 +0000
>>
>> Thanks for the help.
>>
>> I've tried the things you suggested and here are the results.
>> config command:
>> ----------------------------
>> ./configure --enable-macosx-bundle \
>> --with-extraincdir=/usr/X11R6/include/ \
>> --with-extralibdir=/usr/X11R6/lib/ \
>> --with-freetype-config=/usr/X11R6/bin/freetype-config
>> -----------------------------
>> config log:
>> -----------------------------
>> Checking for freetype >= 2.0.9 ... yes
>> Checking for fontconfig ... yes
>> Checking for SSA/ASS support ... no (FreeType >= 2.1.8 needed)
>> -----------------------------
>> setion of config where it's failing, line 5448:
>> -----------------------------
>> int main() { return 0; }
>> EOF
>>    _ass=no
>>    cc_check `$_freetypeconfig --cflags` `$_freetypeconfig --libs`
>> && tmp_run &$
>>    if test "$_ass" = no ; then
>>        _res_comment="FreeType >= 2.1.8 needed"
>>    fi
>> -----------------------------
>> I've tried installing a newer version of freetype and changeing
>> the configure parameters to reflect that.
>> the output of /usr/local/bin/freetype-config --ftversion:
>> -----------------------------
>> 2.2.1
>> -----------------------------
>> config command:
>> ----------------------------
>> ./configure --enable-macosx-bundle \
>> --with-extraincdir=/usr/local/include \
>> --with-extralibdir=/usr/local/lib \
>> --with-freetype-config=/usr/local/bin/freetype-config
>> -----------------------------
>> config log:
>> -----------------------------
>> Checking for freetype >= 2.0.9 ... no
>> Checking for fontconfig ... no (freetype support needed)
>> Checking for SSA/ASS support ... no (FreeType support needed)
>> -----------------------------
>> This is the same result as when I take out the lib and include
>> directives (which I think are not needed because mencoder links to
>> lame (in the same locale) without them) and use this command:
>> -----------------------------
>> ./configure --enable-macosx-bundle \
>> --with-freetype-config=/usr/local/bin/freetype-config
>> -----------------------------
>>
>> I'm not sure if I should try overwriting the systems old freetype
>> with the new free type, since I tried that once and it changed the
>> result to
>> -----------------------------
>> Checking for freetype >= 2.0.9 ... no
>> Checking for fontconfig ... no (freetype support needed)
> [...]
I have it working on 10.4.8 although I don't have X11 installed,
other than the 'Apple Developer' installed objects.
I installed freetype2 to the default location /usr/local

$ which freetype-config
    /usr/local/bin/freetype-config
$ freetype-config --prefix
    /usr/local
$ freetype-config --ftversion
   2.2.1
$ pkg-config --libs-only-L freetype2
   -L/usr/local/lib
$ pkg-config --cflags  freetype2
   -I/usr/local/include/freetype2 -I/usr/local/include

Mplayer configured with no options ./configure gives;

Checking for Mac OS X APIs ... yes
Checking for Mac OS X Finder Support ... no
Checking for Mac OS X Bundle file locations ... no
Checking for pkg-config ... yes

Checking for X11 headers presence ... no (check if the dev(el)
packages are installed)
Checking for X11 ... no (check if the dev(el) packages are installed)

Checking for bitmap font support ... yes
Checking for freetype >= 2.0.9 ... yes
Checking for fontconfig ... no
Checking for SSA/ASS support ... yes

I hope this helps. I don't know what the Mac OS X Bundle and Finder
Support do, but the generated object works within the Mplayer
OSX.app's External_Binaries.