[MPlayer-users] "-frames" option for streamed audio stopped "counting"

Giacomo Comes comes at naic.edu
Thu Jan 4 16:53:34 CET 2007

On Thu, Jan 04, 2007 at 10:10:32AM -0500, Woody Suwalski wrote:
> I used to be able to record streamed audio clips, specifying number of
> frames to record, then quit...
>
> With current mplayer (1.0-pre8-0.1sarge2 from
> http://www.debian-multimedia.org) the "-frames nn" option stopped
> quiting - keeps playing (i.e. recording) for ever....
>
> Is it the updated codec issue? The source build issue? A genuine bug?
>
> e.g.
> mplayer -frames 99 -novideo -srate 11025 -channels 1 -quiet -vc dummy
> -vo null -ao pcm:file=/tmp/cfra.wav mms://tc1.canadacast.ca/chum/cfra.wmv
> used to record ~ 5 minutes of WAV file...

The way of how -frames works has changed since pre8. Before -frames was counting
the input frames, now it counts the output frames.
By accident -frames was working before with pure audio stream, but now it
does not work anymore because with an audio stream there are no output frames
generated.
This is more or less the non expert explanation. There is, of course, a better one,
but the result wont change.

May be you can have more luck with -endpos, but I haven't tested it.

Ciao.
Giacomo