[MPlayer-users] mencoder + x264 + pullup, softskip = a/v sync problems

matthew.garman at gmail.com matthew.garman at gmail.com
Wed Feb 28 19:26:35 CET 2007

On Fri, Feb 23, 2007 at 11:25:34AM +0100, Reimar D?ffinger wrote:
> Hello,
> On Thu, Feb 22, 2007 at 09:45:47PM -0600, matthew.garman at gmail.com wrote:
> [...]
> > Here's what has changed since my last posting: the first part of the
> > script below generates an AVI with h.264 video and AC3 audio.  Even
> > *the AVI* is slightly out of sync.  So, for now, I believe we can
> > ignore the ogg+mkvmerge portions of the script.
>
> -oac copy does not work reliably esp. with AC3.
> See if 1) encoding audio to mp3 fixes it 2) it stays ok after replacing
> the mp3 via something like mencoder -ovc copy -oac copy -mc 0 -noskip
> reencoded.avi -audiofile original -o out.avi

(1) Unfortunately, no
(2) According to the documentation, I can't use -audiofile with a
    VOB or dvd title (WAV, MP3 or OGG Vorbis).

A couple more things to note on my h264+vorbis endeavor:

    - Settings bframes=0 appears to eliminate (or at least greatly
      reduce) the AV sync problems.  Unfortunately, this comes at a
      noticeable picture quality loss.

    - I've discovered that some of my source material is actually
      out of sync.  I can't tell if it's (1) because I've been
      working at this so long that I'm just that much more sensitive
      to it, or (2) due to the fact that I've converted all my
      sources to VOB files ala:

            mplayer -dvd-device /path/to/dvd/from/dvdbackup dvd://1 \
                -dumpstream -dumpfile title_1.vob

      Naively, I assumed that creating VOB files from the DVD source
      would be exactly the same as playing directly from the DVD
      source.  Although, now I wonder if -dumpstream uses the same
      methods as -oac copy (and therefore suffers reliability
      problems as noted above)?

So I suppose that leaves me with only one real question: does
sourcing from a VOB file versus the DVD make a difference to
mencoder?

My other pseudo-question is just a continued general solicitation of
ideas and suggestions.

Thanks again!
Matt