[MPlayer-users] Compiling MPlayer fails

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Wed Feb 28 13:18:54 CET 2007

Gianluca Fiore wrote:

> On Tue 27 Feb, 2007 at 20:02:52 +0600, ajaxas wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 11:44:58 +0100 Gianluca Fiore
>> <forod.g at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> The --disable-xvid/--enable-xvid option you are referring to is
>> used to dis(en) able XviD support in mencoder, not mplayer. Thus
>> you only need it for encoding purposes.
>>
>> If you really gonna encode anything with mencoder, then first check
>> if you have proper (new enough?) xvid and xvid-devel packages
>> installed in your system, and try not to use --enable-xvid option
>> explicitly - the ./configure script will deal with the issue
>> itself. That's how it works for me, at least.

> May I ask why this kind of behaviour? I'm a long time cvs/svn mplayer
> user and for many years enabling options from the configure script
> was *ok*. Now why isn't so anymore?

In MPlayer's configure script, '--enable' means "do not perform any
autodetection; assume that everything necessary for this feature is
present, including all necessary special compiler options". If you use
it, you need to explicitly specify include directories and linker flags
via the appropriate configure options.

This is not a change; it has been the case for quite literally as long
as I have been following MPlayer development (i.e. since the 0.90
release series), although for some while in the "early" years it was not
consistent across the entirety of configure (and in some places it may
still not be).

If it "worked" for you before, that was a coincidence; all of your
necessary header files and libraries happened to be in places where
MPlayer (and/or the compiler) knew to look for them by default, and no
specific linker flags were necessary.

Personally, I find it a little implausible that MPlayer was ever able to
find the XviD libraries with no linker options (i.e. '-lxvidcore'), but
I have no particular reason to accuse you of lying about it.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.