[MPlayer-users] VHS to Video File Conversion

Jorge Fábregas jfabregas at onelinkpr.net
Tue Feb 27 00:22:12 CET 2007

Hello guys,

I'm about to send this company a couple of old VHS tapes for digital
conversion.   They provide various destination formats (MPEG-2 DVD, video
file etc).  I plan to ask for uncompressed AVI file (I'll send a hard-disk
for that).   I just want the raw footage so I can encode later with mencoder.

I want to make sure that mencoder will be able to read this "raw" material.
Is there anything standard for video just like there is for sound.?  For
example , a raw audio file may be PCM, 16-bit 44,100 Hz (standard for Audio
CD's)....   If I choose compressed video that's easy for me ( I can ask for
MPEG-4 ASP or MPEG-4 AVC etc) I just don't know what to ask for in
uncompressed video in order to make sure that mplayer/mencoder will handle
it.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jorge