[MPlayer-users] help with quicktime files playback and flash video encoding

Razvan Cosma razvan.cosma at pronetis.ro
Wed Feb 21 12:37:41 CET 2007

 Hi all,
I'm trying to use mencoder instead of Sorenson Squeeze to convert .mov
files to .flv (it actually compresses better and faster than the $250
encoder and has a wealth of command-line options).
Things generally work smoothly with options like:
C:\Apps\MPlayer\mencoder.exe test.mov -lavfopts
i_certify_that_my_video_stream_does_not_use_b_frames -vf scale=320:240
-ffourcc FLV1 -of lavf -ovc lavc -oac lavc -lavcopts
dia=2:precmp=2:cmp=2:subcmp=2:vcodec=flv:vbitrate=168:acodec=mp3:abitrate=56
-srate 22050 -o test.flv
but recently I receive some files that mplayer/mencoder decode really
badly (dropped frames, white noise instead of sound).
Sample clip that works fine: http://razvan.cosma.name/moonwalking_bird.mov
Broken clip (works fine in quicktime player, though):
http://razvan.cosma.name/worlds_most_dangerous_drug.mov
..both are public promo clips, you can safely download them :)
Using MPlayer-mingw32-1.0rc1.zip on XP, copied QuickTime.qts ver.
7.1.3.100 in C:\WINDOWS\mplayer\codecs.
(btw, how can I check if and what codecs exactly is mplayer loading when
it opens a clip?)
Can anyone suggest what makes mplayer choke on the second clip?

Thank you,
Razvan